Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:01:22 +0900 (JST)

> > a certain Windows' FTP program cannot make whole-directory transfers from
> > a Solaris [version 2.6, later versions may be fixed] server with Japanese
> > NLS setup system-wide.  The reason is that the WSFTP does a "dir" command
[...]
> To bring it on topic, how does lynx fare with it?

(Can Lynx do recursive ftp fetches of all files and sub-directories under a
directory?  [-- No, of course.])

To answer your question, not very well.  Lynx also seems to take the
first line of the directory listing as a file.  But worse than that is
that it assumes the file or directory name is ALL the user/group/size/
date information prefixed to the file name (see the References section).
Weird; never seen this on any server before.  Here's an example:

% cd TEST
% /bin/ls -al  <<== only with /bin/ls; /usr/ucb/ls uses English "total 26"
合計 26
drwxr-xr-x   3 henry    user     512  6月  1日  10:57 .
drwxr-xr-x  24 henry    user    1024  6月  1日  10:53 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 henry    user    5712  6月  1日  10:55 .mailcap
drwxr-xr-x   2 henry    user     512  6月  1日  10:58 tannin
-rw-r--r--   1 henry    user    2678  6月  1日  10:54 toiapps
-rw-r--r--   1 henry    user     259  6月  1日  10:54 wglog1422

In lynx, the above appears as:

Current directory is /home/henry/TEST

   [1]Up to henry

     * text/plain
     * text/plain       [2] henry    user     259  6月  1日  10:54
wglog142
     * Directory        [3] henry    user     512  6月  1日  10:57 .
     * Directory        [4] henry    user     512  6月  1日  10:58
tannin
     * Directory        [5] henry    user    1024  6月  1日  10:53
..
     * text/plain       [6] henry    user    2678  6月  1日  10:54
toiapps
     * text/plain       [7] henry    user    5712  6月  1日  10:55
.mailcap