Re: lynx-dev handling empty value for proxy URLs

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev handling empty value for proxy URLs
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 08:18:57 +0100 (BST)

>    I just wished to know whether that strange behaviour of lynx is definitely
> a bug. It looks like it is, so it should be fixed (lynx should either complain
> about illegal syntax for proxy's URL or shouldn't use proxy then).

In my view it is not a bug as it does not involve incorrect behaviour for
valid input.  Accurate diagnosis of invalid input is an open ended problem:
should one, for example, provide an explicit diagnostic if someone
puts export TEMP=/dev/null? should one validate string parameters provided
at compile time?