Re: lynx-dev Concerning the use of abort in the source of lynx

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Concerning the use of abort in the source of lynx
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 15:37:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Michael Sokolov wrote:
>the contrary, what you are describing concerning airplanes is precisely the
>case with proprietary software. That may be the reason why these airplanes
>really do crash as often as they do. Free software is infinitely better and

Airplanes crash VERY infrequently.  Come up with examples of *software*
failures that caused plane crashes.  It is most often hardware failure or
human error.

>more reliable than anything proprietary. You know, Pathfinder, the robot that
>walked on Mars, ran Linux.

It may have ran Linux as the underlying OS, but it ran proprietary software
to get its work done.

Sheesh, I think open source software is great as much as the next guy, but
this idea that nothing good can come out of proprietary software, or that
there aren't times when proprietary software is better than free/open source
software is just ridiculous.