Re: lynx-dev Concerning the use of abort in the source of lynx

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Concerning the use of abort in the source of lynx
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 00 17:48:54 CDT

<address@hidden> wrote:

> Airplanes crash VERY infrequently.  Come up with examples of *software*
> failures that caused plane crashes.  It is most often hardware failure or
> human error.

Yeah, but if the principles of free software were also applied to other areas,
such as hardware engineering (blueprints, schematics, etc.) and educating
pilots, the rate of airplane crashes would certainly decrease.

Extending the principles of free software to other fields of engineering and
science is exactly what the International Engineering and Science Task Force is
for. I already gave you a biomedical example.

> Sheesh, I think open source software is great as much as the next guy, but
> this idea that nothing good can come out of proprietary software, or that
> there aren't times when proprietary software is better than free/open source
> software is just ridiculous.

Well, we'll just have to disagree. But there are people who agree with me. RMS,
for example, refuses to use any proprietary software for anything under any
circumstances.

--
Michael Sokolov         Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent    International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: address@hidden (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)