Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:04:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Henry Nelson wrote:
[kw:]
> > If your your mail (always in iso-2022-jp after conversion, as you've
> > described above) , when shown directly with cat or similar, shows up
> > correctly, then your terminal emulator[*] does understand iso-2022-jp.
>
> It shows up "correctly," AFAIK, but of course not kanji, but rather escape
> codes and ascii, e.g., "文部省", Ministry of Education, in euc _looks_, i.e.,
> [esc] replaced with ^[, like "^[$BJ8It>J^[(J" when you view it in vi.

Yes, but it's vi then which shows byte 0x1B as "^[" rather than writing
it directly to the output stream.  So vi is not like "cat or similar" in
the way I meant.

> You'll only see kanji if you view the mail with "mail" or look at it in
> "lynx."

If you cat such a file (in which vi shows "^[") and see correct kanji,
then it means the terminal emulation[*] does understand iso-2022-jp.
It could also be that cat itself does some magical transformation, but
I think that's very unlikely.

[*] The terminal emulation or some magic in between, which for practical
purposes can be considered part of the terminal emulation.

   ---

Thanks for your answers to my other questions; they help me understand
an environment with which I have no direct experience.

  Klaus