Re: lynx-dev New Lynx translations available

From: Atsuhito Kohda
Subject: Re: lynx-dev New Lynx translations available
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:05:25 +0900

From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 16:31:42 -0500 (CDT)

> On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Webmaster Jim wrote:
>
> > I am pleased to announce the following are available:
(snip)
> > I have copied these to the ISC http and ftp sites.
>
> In which directories / under which URLs?
>
> Are these for 2.8.3rel.1 or later?
>
> Ok, I can answer some of these questions myself, but it would help
> if you could announce the details.

Yes, it will help us very much.

> Also, <http://lynx.isc.org/release/> has a link
> to <http://lynx.isc.org/release/lynx-2.8.3.tar.gz> as
>   lynx-2.8.3.tar.gz - the distribution with available international
>                       message catalogs
>
> Could you please update this to the latest files (I think this was
> the intention, right?).
>
> I thing that file should get a better filename.  It should include
> and indication that this is "with available international message catalogs",
> as well as another component that indicates how up-to-date the translations
> are.  Something like
>    lynx-2.8.3rel.1-po20000607.tar.gz

This is really important.  When I first tried to get released
lynx-2.8.3, I doubted if lynx-2.8.3.tar.gz really included message
catalogs.

> Sorry if this sounds too much like complaining, but I think it's currently
> very difficult for the uninitiated to understand from the Web pages what
> they have to do, in order to get the lynx 2.8.3 release with latest NLS
> translations.

I absolutely agree.  It might be very hard to keep Web pages
easy for the uninitiated to understand but I agree that it is
very important to do so.

One more point on Web pages.  There is lynx2.8.3rel.1c.patch.gz in
http://lynx.isc.org/current/ but
not in http://lynx.isc.org/release/patches/

Is this intentional?

Thanks in advance,              2000.6.8