lynx-dev Re: New Lynx translations available

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: New Lynx translations available
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 07:49:43 -0400

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 04:31:42PM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> > I am pleased to announce the following are available:
> > >    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/maint/lynx/ru.po
> > >    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/maint/lynx/ja.po
> > >    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/maint/lynx/da.po
> > I have copied these to the ISC http and ftp sites.
> In which directories / under which URLs?
> Are these for 2.8.3rel.1 or later?
> Ok, I can answer some of these questions myself, but it would help
> if you could announce the details.

Yes, my message was a bit terse. I haven't had a lot of time to devote
to Lynx work lately. The lynx.isc.org web page has this paragraph:

   Lynx supports multiple languages through use of gettext. Some message
   catalogs (preliminary, incomplete, etc.) are available on
   http://lynx.isc.org/po/ If this site mirrors the full original site,
   this is here as well. Also read the notes in About NLS.

Since the above catalogs seem to be against lynx-2.8.3, I renamed them
to be:

http://lynx.isc.org/po/lynx-2.8.3.da.po
http://lynx.isc.org/po/lynx-2.8.3.ja.po
http://lynx.isc.org/po/lynx-2.8.3.ru.po
ftp://lynx.isc.org/po/lynx-2.8.3.da.po
ftp://lynx.isc.org/po/lynx-2.8.3.ja.po
ftp://lynx.isc.org/po/lynx-2.8.3.ru.po

> If I am guessing right, then these are the best currently available
> translations for 2.8.3rel.1.  So they should be available from the
>     <http://lynx.isc.org/release/>
> page, not just from
>     <http://lynx.isc.org/current/>.
>
> Could you put them there, too, please?  The two "po" links from
> <http://lynx.isc.org/current/> point to a place with now outdated
> files and information.  I don't think it helps anyone to keep
> that around.

Yes, it needs to be cleaned up.  I'm not sure when I can get to it again.

> Since I contributed the following (I *think* all of them), I ask
> specifically to please remove
>    README.de
>    de-lynx-pot.txt
>    de.gmo
>    de.po
>    de.po-19990227
>    lynx-2.8.3.de.po  (?)
> from
> FTP Directory: ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx-2.8.3/po/

Ditto.

> Also, <http://lynx.isc.org/release/> has a link
> to <http://lynx.isc.org/release/lynx-2.8.3.tar.gz> as
>   lynx-2.8.3.tar.gz - the distribution with available international
>                       message catalogs
> Could you please update this to the latest files (I think this was
> the intention, right?).

Yes, I didn't finish rebuilding that yesterday.

> I thing that file should get a better filename.  It should include
> and indication that this is "with available international message catalogs",
> as well as another component that indicates how up-to-date the translations
> are.  Something like
>    lynx-2.8.3rel.1-po20000607.tar.gz

I think that will add more files to our directories than we need. I will
add some text to the index page better describing the content.

> > This brings the official Translation project count to 8, plus that
> > French one still lingering.
>
> Sorry if this sounds too much like complaining, but I think it's
> currently very difficult for the uninitiated to understand from the
> Web pages what they have to do, in order to get the lynx 2.8.3 release
> with latest NLS translations.

Yes, I assume this also. However, I liberally splash "please write to
lynx-dev with questions" on as many places as possible. Since we have
not heard much from such users, I'm assuming one of the following --
the instructions are adequate, or the users are too naive to even write
with question, or there aren't many people who have found they need
this. Thus, until some questions arise, I'm not going to guess where the
instructions need to be updated.

If course, clear, concise and complete rewrites to my gibberish are
always welcome. If someone else wishes to help maintain the distribution
sites, please speak up...

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
You are the same as any other so-called life form.