Re: lynx-dev cfg help sought

From: pAb-032871
Subject: Re: lynx-dev cfg help sought
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 18:31:58 -0700

In "Re: lynx-dev cfg help sought"
[08/Jun/2000 Thu 16:10:02]
Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, pAb-032871 wrote:
[...]
> > I haven't found a direct route, but there are a few simple links
> > you can follow from any "=" document-info page [more below].
>
> The way to "get there" has change since 2.8.1pre.9.  Now you'd start
> not with the '=' page, but the forms-based 'O' page (link is near the
> bottom).

Thank you: I hate passing inaccurate or outdated info, especially
when it's meant to be helpful.  And there is a link in the forms-based
o)ptions of 2.8.1pre.9 too.  Sorry, *that* was an embarrassing
oversight on my part.

> For a hint to a "direct route", see the end of the last section of
> "Supported URLs" (from the main Help page).  I am referring to the
> current version of that, your Island.net setup may point to something
> older, so try the online help link from <http://lynx.browser.org/>.

Ah, the internal URL schemes.  Actually, I like being able to
tweak lynx.cfg to my liking, and [for obvious reasons] don't
have write permissions on the server's main copy, so keeping
my own version in my login directory is the easiest way to go
[probably why I never found the o)ptions shortcut too].  In the
server's original, only about five definitions are active and
the rest are commented defaults.

Only a slight relation to the current subject, but I've always
been curious about this:

   Lynx uses a variety of internal URL schemes as structured stream
   objects for communication among its display modules. If you discover
   what they are, and are tempted to use them externally in documents,
   find the self-restraint to resist that temptation!!!
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   For example, tempting though it might be, do not use these:
      Return to your <A HREF="LYNXHIST:0">Startfile</A>
      Review your <A HREF="LYNXKEYMAP:">Keymap</A>
   (Yes, they'll work. No, they won't do any harm. But...)

MacLynx may be a little too trusting, because it *does* utilize
these internal URL schemes when presented in external documents
[localhost-only as far as I know: haven't had a chance to test
these links in remote HTML].  However, the one on the server tells
me these are special and shouldn't be used when I try to follow
these links.

But no documentation I've found says *why* the use of LYNXfoo
internal URLs is a bad idea.  I can think of a few reasons on
my own:
A)-Not all versions are trusting enough to follow these links.
B)-Not all versions use the same internal schemes.  I have seen
   a few web-pages containing links to LYNXSETTINGSTATUS:/ which
   MacLynx [a v2.7.1 port] knows nothing about.
C)-It's not valid HTML, and most browsers dislike custom URL schemes.

C is only relevant with public files, not things like lynx_bookmarks.html
and so on.  I can't think of any reason to use them in public
web-pages anyway.  Lynx already uses invalid HTML because its
generated documents don't include DOCTYPE, HTML, HEAD, or BODY
tags, but that's harmless and makes them easier to edit.

Are there others?

        I just remembered that I'm absent-minded.
        Wait
        I mean I've lost my mind.
        I can't find it. . .
                                -- Slim Shady