Re: lynx-dev UTF-8 display questions (was: Superscripts)

From: Sergei Pokrovsky
Subject: Re: lynx-dev UTF-8 display questions (was: Superscripts)
Date: 13 Jun 2000 14:12:14 +0700

  Klaus> On 12 Jun 2000, Sergei Pokrovsky wrote:
  Klaus> Hmm, and since you are using slang, you may want to
  Klaus> experiment with the '-blink' flag to lynx.

I observe that everything becomes bold.  Not bad, but in fact that is
not very good, because my bold face is a bit less rich than the meager
one (e.g. it lacks quantifiers, logical connectors etc).

But this gives me an idea: by inverting the convention and defining

COLOR:0:gray:white
COLOR:4:black:white

I obtain the bold face for the main text, and the meager face for the
emphasized (and my math happens to be emphasized).  That gives a
better way to distinguish among emphasis (by the heaviness, and that
in a non-unusual way, as italics often are lighter than the plain
face), and the anchors (which are distinguished with the color).

  Klaus> And see what happens after you "LYNXCFG://reload".  (Just
  Klaus> trying to make sure that your inexhaustible source won't dry
  Klaus> up soon...)

I do not see anything special.  OK, your idea really was a source of
innocent merriment, but probably in a different way than you
expected.

  >> - emphasis is sometimes rendered with the color only (which I'd
  >> prefer), or is combined with underline (which I'd rather turn
  >> off, but don't know how to do it).

  Klaus> lynx -nocolor suppresses that.

Probably you mean -nounderline

  Klaus> (cont'd in another message)

Yes, see there about the horrible effects of your imprudent
misadvice ...

--
Sergei