Re: lynx-dev Special TAG for lynx

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Special TAG for lynx
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:45:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Florian Zumbiehl wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I just had an idea - probably it's already implemented or alike...
>
> How about a special tag that gives one the possibility to make things
> invisible in Lynx or to insert things into the HTML code that are visible
> in Lynx only.
>
> This would be fine sometimes when I want to insert an additional
> line break to make it look better in Lynx (while in other browsers
> the additional break would make it look worse)...

Not that I recommend using these on the WWW, but since you were
asking, play around with these:

    <COMMENT>Here is some text that <EM>lynx</EM> won't show.</COMMENT>

    <![INCLUDE[ Now you see me... ]]>

    <![IGNORE[ ... now you don't. ]]>

    <PRE>
    <![CDATA[
    And while we're at it, how about a construct for showing HTML
    markup literally without having to escape every '<' and '&':
       &iexcl;Hola!
    is rendered as
    ]]></PRE>
       &iexcl;Hola!

For more fun, figure out which of these constructs are valid HTML...

   Klaus