Re: lynx-dev UTF-8 display questions (was: Superscripts)

From: Sergei Pokrovsky
Subject: Re: lynx-dev UTF-8 display questions (was: Superscripts)
Date: 14 Jun 2000 14:37:26 +0700

  Klaus> Now I remember I also had been seeing some display glitches
  Klaus> of the sort you describe, which would only appear when color
  Klaus> was turned off.  But I tried to reproduce that now, both with
  Klaus> released 2.8.3 and my own current code, and utterly failed...

  Klaus> A possible reason is that earlier I was testing with ncurses,
  Klaus> while my current code is complied with slang (1.3.9, with a
  Klaus> private fix that should not be necessary for 1.4.1).

I had installed ncurses without the no-overwrite option, and used
them to install xterm-133; I am still using that build now.

Then after some reported adventures I've succeeded to reinstall ncurses
as Tom recommends.  After that I've rebuilt lynx,

,----
| Lynx Version 2.8.4dev.2 (21 May 2000)
| Built on solaris2.7 Jun 12 2000 14:10:24
`----

with slang 1.4.1 and your SITE_DEFS="-DSLANG_MBCS_HACK".  That's what
I am using now (and it misbehaves with -nocolor, which I really don't
need).

  Klaus> Anyway, this was the sort of thing where I found that
  Klaus> simplifying terminfo descriptions helped.  So if you are
  Klaus> _still_ interested, please try that at this point.  I have
  Klaus> already tried to line out the procedure elsewhere, but here
  Klaus> is a concrete example that I used:

Excuse me, Klaus, but I cannot do it for you now.  I've spent a bit
too much time playing with lynx, and now I have to attend some of my
duties a bit.  Maybe some time later.

  >> Well, if I launch lynx with -nocolor,
  >>
  >> xterm -u8 \ -fn
  >> -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1
  >> \ -g x57 -e lynx -nocolor &
  >>
  >> and open a page in UTF-8 or even in Latin-1, say
  >>
  >> http://www.esperanto.mv.ru/KompLeks/Lat1/A.html#AKUTO
  >>
  >> then moving through the links (press a few Up arrows, then a few
  >> Downs) creates strange phantom anchors at random spots, sometimes
  >> beyond the end of line, sometimes overwriting some innocent plain
  >> prose ...  And these phantoms are not washed away with ^R ... And
  >> the WHEREIS-line spawns are rising trough the screen ...

  Klaus> I have seen strange effects that appear similar, but usually
  Klaus> a ^L would make them go away.  If not, paging up and down, or
  Klaus> would.  Usually.  That line about WHEREIS-line spawns is very
  Klaus> poetic, but not clear enough to make me understand whether
  Klaus> that's something I've ever seen...

I load a page, ^E, do some Ups. When an Up brings me to the uppermost
anchor, the screen image (including the WHEREIS line) drifts 3 lines
up, leaving 3 blank underlined lines; the current anchor is
duplicated, one in the old position below, filled and with the cursor
at it, the other within the drifted text (as a passive link).  The
active link can be followed; the other (shifted) anchors are dead.

  >> No such horror without -nocolor.

  Klaus> Well, so you don't really need a fix (I assume that you can
  Klaus> just use -color), but I am still curious whether the
  Klaus> "simplified terminfo" approach works for you.

I really am not interested in the nocolor mode.  Sorry that I cannot
help you now (I can answer question and experiment, but I'd rather not
risk to change any system parameters right now.)

--
Sergei