lynx-dev Anyone ever see this before?

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: lynx-dev Anyone ever see this before?
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:31:53 -0400 (EDT)

This msg was recently posted to usenet:
comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc #23835 (0 + 26 more)                    [1]
From: "Alan J. Flavell" <address@hidden>
[1] Lynx: spaces as links
Date: Sat Jun 10 14:19:30 EDT 2000

I've become aware that Lynx seems to have problems with links that
consist of space (whether white space or no-break space or both).

While we would probably all agree that a web site would be unwise to
do this, nevertheless it does happen.  Such links are usable (assuming
that you can spot them!) on the graphical browsers.  But I found that
although Lynx displayed them highlighted, showing that it did at least
have some conception of them being links, it would not put the cursor
on them (TAB skipped right on to the following link), and the "l"
(list links) keycommand omitted the associated URLs from the list.

I tried varying a number of options (the parser, the "put links on
invisible images", the -number_links mode, etc.) but nothing seemed to
help.

For a demonstration of the actual problem that provoked this posting,
(I'm sorry, this is a somewhat involved prescription, since it
involves a POST query), try going to

http://bahn.hafas.de/bin//query.exe/el

and querying a connection between two British railway stations of your
choice, and then ask for either "Detail" or "Journey guide".  In
either case, the "Train No" column does not contain a train number
(these are not used in public timetables in the UK), but nevertheless,
the empty space is linked to further details about the train.  These
details can be accessed in a graphical browser, and indeed even in
w3m, but Lynx (at least in the several 2.8.* sub-versions I tried)
seems to make them inaccessible.

cheers

End of art 23835 (of 23862) [npq]

--