Re: lynx-dev hidden links

From: pAb-032871
Subject: Re: lynx-dev hidden links
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:50:49 -0700

In "Re: lynx-dev hidden links"
[19/Jun/2000 Mon 14:32:27]
Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 01:25:01PM -0700, pAb-032871 wrote:
>
> > Maybe you're forgetting this is *freeware*.  I don't think any
> > of the developers have any contractual obligations to do *anything*
> > with Lynx [with the possible exception of T.E.Dickey, who maintains
> > the list, website, and keeps several other things co-ordinated.
> > I'm guessing he's made agreements with various ISPs to accomplish
> > this].  They work on it in their spare time, and I don't think
> > anyone gets paid.
>
> for myself: still a hobby that happens to tie-in to some other programs
> I'm working on (at the moment I'm working on tin).

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.  The "possible exception" thing
was just a guess, because these things often cost money and I
thought there might be a little advertising to pay the bills --
not for profit mind you, but just to break even.  I'm so inured
to advertising now that these kinds of links are ignored and I
forget I even saw them immediately [speaking of hidden links. . .].

> (Jim Spath does, I think, more to maintain the website, but actually there
> are a number of people who do support for lynx-dev, though they're not
> visible).

And while we're on the subject; Thank You All!

[pasted-in from my original message, quotes added to avoid confusion]

> > But no-one's stopping you from doing it yourself if it's that
> > important.  That's why it's called "open-source": if you know
> > a little about programming you can do whatever you want
[...]
On second thought, even if you know absolutely NOTHING about
programming you can *still* do whatever you want.  However, it
may produce strange results. . .  ;-)

                          Patrick
                <mailto:address@hidden>