RE: lynx-dev line editor

From: pAb-032871
Subject: RE: lynx-dev line editor
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:22:06 -0700

In "RE: lynx-dev line editor"
[20/Jun/2000 Tue 06:41:05]
jbeck wrote:

> thanks for the \ keystroke tip
> seems basic enough, but i never knew it.

Actually, one of the first things I did with my lynx.cfg was remap
that command to "v)iew source", changing "v)iew bookmarks" to
just "b)ookmarks" since that arrangemet made more sense to me.
But if Lynx is on the system you're administering, and others
use it too, you might want to use a separate, personal cfg for
your own custom-mappings.  To do this, you edit a copy and save
it in your login directory, then invoke Lynx using;
"lynx -cfg=~/path/my_lynx.cfg" [without quotes].

> How do you set vi as your [default] line editor?

Do you mean editor or line-edit mode?  If you mean editor, simply
type "vi" or "vim" into the appropriate field of the o)ptions
menu and save the preference.  The default editor can also be
set in lynx.cfg; just look for DEFAULT_EDITOR: and define it as
you would in options.  Defining a *system* editor is not always
a good idea, but the comments in lynx.cfg cover all that nicely.

If you actually mean line-edit mode, sorry, I hope someone else
can help you with that one.

> Joe Beck      Unix Administrator/Tax Redesign Project
> address@hidden
> voice:  (609)292-5785

[...]

> > I mean Lynx is not perfect, is it?
>
> It's tops when it comes to text and "real" html, but no, nothing's
> perfect.  I wish more sites would refrain from JavaScript when the
> same thing could be done other ways, is all.  I spend a lot of time
> viewing \)Source to find and reconstruct links buried in script --
> they're a lot worse than just "hidden" in most cases.
>
> __Henry

                          Patrick
                <mailto:address@hidden>