Re: lynx-dev Patent on Hyperlinks

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Patent on Hyperlinks
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:44:22 -0600

I guess this is as good a time as any to let y'all know that I'm back
on lynx-dev.  I've been busy with "things that help pay the rent", and
then had some problems with my ISP and my email, but those *should* be
all fixed-up now ... mostly, anyway.  Now I just need to get caught up
with what's been going on WRT lynx ... I'm still running 2.8.3-dev.17
... :-) ...

As may be ...

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000, David Woolley (address@hidden) said:

| According to recent press articles, British Telecom have just discovered
| that they have a US patent on hyperlinks and are intending to try to
| get royalties from US ISPs.
|
| I don't know the scope of the patent, but if it covers browsers, and they
| choose to demand royalties on, even just commercial, use in browsers,
| the Lynx licence to re-distribute would become void (GPL clause 7).

As it happens, just tonight I came across a fairly lively discussion about
this in the  gnu.misc.discuss  newsgroup, the initial posting of which,
I'll append below.

Personally, I don't expect much to actually come out of it ... I recall
reading about the *concept* of hyperlinks in one or two "future direct-
ions in computing" type books, thus making them "prior art".

Even without that, *concepts* are not supposed to be patentable ... only
specific implementations (scam artists who claim to hold the patent on all
blinking cursor implementations that use the XOR function, notwithstanding).

Just sumthin' to keep lawyers in business, methinks ...!

/kim

initial  gnu.misc.discuss  article: