Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.4

From: Atsuhito Kohda
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.4
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:15:48 +0900

From: Hataguchi Takeshi <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:19:52 +0900 (JST)

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
>
> > For example I encountered the problem with lynx on kterm
> > when I visited
> >
> > http://www.jp.debian.org/
> >
> > the parts (sorry but the following two lines are Japanese)
> >
> > セキュリティ情報
> > バグ追跡システム
> >
> > was always displayed in a wrong way (Moji-bake in Japanese).
>
> I tested this page and found a problem with Lynx 2.8.3.rel1.

Thanks for your testing and clarification!!!

> What I did:
>     1. Open http://www.jp.debian.org/
>     2. Press Space to show next page.
>     3. Found these three lines were displayed in a wrong way.
>         バグ追跡システム
>         メーリングリストアーカイブ
>         メーリングリストの購読
>
> I think this problem is same as yours though the lines which have a
> problem are different.  I think pressing ^L make the problem lines to
> be displayed in a correct way.

Oh yes, you might be right.  I said roughly the problem
arises around those lines ;)

> Probably this problem is same as what Mr. Asada reported on 18 May.
> And it seems to be improved by this change in dev.4.
>
> | 2000-06-23 (2.8.4dev.4)
> [snip]
> | * restore commented-out "clearok(curscr, TRUE)" in display_page() in
> GridText.c
> |   to workaround problem repainting multibyte characters (reported by Takuya
> |   ASADA <address@hidden>) -KW

I also guessed that the above change might fix the problem
but I was afraid that the above might concern with only lynx
compiled with ncurses.

> By the way, does this mean Debian JP users have used Lynx with problem
> in showing Japanese over an half year? uum...

Well, for non-programmer, it is generally rather difficult to
judge if some inconvenience one encountered is bug or not.

Especially if it can be easily fixed with "pressing ^L"
as you pointed out or even with "scrolling up and down".

Furthermore, in this case (Moji-bake), it is very difficult
to explain what inconvenience it is so, I guess, no one has
reported the problem to me.

And I myself did not know this mailing list untill recently ;)

Best Regards,                   2000.6.27

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <address@hidden>