Re: lynx-dev Locale not working (Danish translation)

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Locale not working (Danish translation)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:25:01 +0200

Henry Nelson <address@hidden> said:

>>> If using GNU, I believe that directory name would have to be
>>> the literal string you use in your environment variable,
>>> namely "da_DK," not just "da."
>>
>> This also enables Danish messages but without the special Danish
>> characters.

> I'm not sure what you mean here.  By changing the name of the
> directory to "da_DK" you lost the use of special Danish
> character handling?  From your message, it seemed to me that
> you wanted to do (GNU syntax): "LANG=da_DK" "LANGUAGE=da"

Rereading it, at first I wasn't sure what I meant myself, but
sobering up, what I meant was, that if I changed my locale
setting to LANG=da, then there would be Danish messages but
without our special characters. You said that there might have
to be correspondance between the country identifier in the
environment variable and the the name of the localedir and
since the latter is "da" changing the variable to "da" seemed
to make sense, but as a matter of fact it doesn't matter. Well,
so much for cleaning up after myself (which I hope I did) ;)

> >> Enough badgering of Tom for one day :)
>>
>> If that translates into tired, yes I certainly was ;)

> Not really.  It meant exactly that autoconf was not expecting a string
> like "lynx2.8.4dev3.po" with an undefined path.

At first I didn't even copy the po-file into the Lynx-archive
prior to compilation because I did not know that I needed to do
that. But I'm now a bit wiser.

> Maybe you'd like to write up a "README.intl" to put in the docs sub-
> directory as a reward for your efforts :)

Very much so, in addition it could also be a short primer on
use of the gettext system, emacs po-mode etc. I mean just short
because other documents about this issue are out there.

I'm busy for a while but I hope to have it ready soon.

Best regards,

Morten

PS: I changed something about my envelope in cennection to the
two previous mails I sent to the list and my editor created
backup copies in the queue-dir which got sent too. Hence the
double posts, sorry for that.