Re: lynx-dev Locale not working (Danish translation)

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Locale not working (Danish translation)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:34:26 +0900 (JST)

> sobering up, what I meant was, that if I changed my locale
> setting to LANG=da, then there would be Danish messages but

Above all, you want to be sure that LANG is set to an available locale,
which you can determine with the command `locale -a` on Solaris or by
doing `ls` of the path containing the locale files, e.g., `ls /usr/share/
locale`.  By default, the directory path would then use that value.  GNU
gettext offers you the ability to define both a locale and a language
(the latter of which has the higher priority for the name of the directory
into which the message catalogue is put).

> At first I didn't even copy the po-file into the Lynx-archive
> prior to compilation because I did not know that I needed to do
> that. But I'm now a bit wiser.

You don't _have_ to copy the po-file into the Lynx distribution po
subdirectory, _unless_ you plan to use the autoconf mechanism provided
with Lynx to do everything for you.  You gain convenience at the cost
of flexibility by using autoconf: to each his own.  (I admit I was a
bit surprised you chose that route since you seem to be doing translation
of message catalogues for other programs.)

> > Maybe you'd like to write up a "README.intl" to put in the docs sub-
> > directory as a reward for your efforts :)
>
> Very much so, in addition it could also be a short primer on
> use of the gettext system, emacs po-mode etc. I mean just short

Well, no one is going to hold you to it, but what you offer is a great
service to Lynx that has been waited for for a long time.

__Henry