Re: lynx-dev Locale not working (Danish translation)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Locale not working (Danish translation)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:01:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:

> Rereading it, at first I wasn't sure what I meant myself, but
> sobering up, what I meant was, that if I changed my locale
> setting to LANG=da, then there would be Danish messages but
> without our special characters.

I don't quite understand how that can be.

What appears in their place?

Which OS are you using, and which libgettext implementation?  The
one that is part of your C library?   Which version is it?
I am asking becasue I have read that the gettext functions in the
most recent GNU libc can do charset transcoding.  I don't know
whether that's in any released version or still experimental code.
But it could have something to do with the "Danish messages but
without our special characters" effect.

Where do you run lynx, what other components are involved between
lynx's screen output and you that might change characters?  (console,
xterm, 'screen', ...)

> You said that there might have
> to be correspondance between the country identifier in the
> environment variable and the the name of the localedir and
> since the latter is "da" changing the variable to "da" seemed
> to make sense, but as a matter of fact it doesn't matter. Well,
> so much for cleaning up after myself (which I hope I did) ;)

Using "da_DK" is generally better than just "da" in my experience.
I've seen perl complain about the latter, for example.
But as far as GNU gettext is concerned, it tries to find the message
catalog in both places (and possibly some others).  If you are using
linux, you can run lynx under "strace -eopen " to find out what files
it is trying to open and in which order, for different LANG strings.

   Klaus