Re: lynx-dev Locale not working (Danish translation)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Locale not working (Danish translation)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:12:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > Thanks, I needed to follow Atsuhito's advice, then it worked.
>
> Good.  If you intended to use the gettext package bundled in the
> lynx distribution, then of course you are bound to its rules.

> > >                                               ^^
> > > If using GNU, I believe that directory name would have to be the literal
> > > string you use in your environment variable, namely "da_DK," not just
> > > "da."

No; if given "da_DK", GNU gettext tries directory paths with both "da_DK"
and "da".  So it's fine to put message catalogs in .../da/..., in fact that
seems to be the usual convention, as long as you don't need several
variations of a Danish locale.  LANG=da and LANG=da_DK should then have
exactly the same effect, as far as message catalog selection is concerned.

It is *other* components that also look at locale, like isupper(), tolower()
and similar functions, for which the more specific string da_DK is
required.

> [...]  From
> your message, it seemed to me that you wanted to do (GNU syntax):
> "LANG=da_DK"
> "LANGUAGE=da"

Henry, I know that you are using environment variables in this way
(for Japanese), but in general I wouldn't recommend to set LANGUAGE
in addition to LANG.  There just is no need for it, it only makes
matters more complicated (change one but forget to change the other etc.)

  Klaus