lynx-dev Slang version

From: Atsuhito Kohda
Subject: lynx-dev Slang version
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:41:57 +0900

Hi all,

When I tried to compile lynx 2.8.4dev.4, I found the followings;

- with Slang 1.2.2 then it failed to link like

LYCurses.o: In function `start_curses':
LYCurses.o(.text+0x455): undefined reference to `SLsmg_touch_screen'

- with Slang 1.4.0 then 'configure' failed to find out libslang
  and config.log told me

configure:8072: gcc -o conftest -O2 -DLINUX -D_GNU_SOURCE   conftest.c
-lslang-ja -lm -lcurses   1>&5
/usr/lib/libslang.so: undefined reference to `dlerror'
/usr/lib/libslang.so: undefined reference to `dlclose'
/usr/lib/libslang.so: undefined reference to `dlopen'
/usr/lib/libslang.so: undefined reference to `dlsym'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

A Debian developer in Japan taught me that

- there is no 'SLsmg_touch_screen' in Slang 1.2.2 and perhaps
  it was included since Slang 1.3.8.

- we need to add '-ldl' to configure appropriately in case
  of Slang 1.4.0

And these are right, at least,

- it succeeded to compile with Slang 1.3.9

- to add '-ldl' to configure fixes the problem with Slang 1.4.0

But the document INSTALLATION in lynx distribution only says

    display color at all.  Likewise, lynx may not build with old versions of
    slang, e.g., before 0.99-38, because slang's interfaces change periodically.

This statement is not precise at all, IMHO.

Best Regards,                   2000.6.29

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <address@hidden>