Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.4dev.2.patch.gz

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.4dev.2.patch.gz
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:32:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> > I don't think that there is a problem with gettext on DOS, although I
> > haven't used it extensively. The DOS lynx binary that I distribute is
> > linked with libintl.a and seems to work properly with the .mo files
> > that I tried. Binaries of the GNU gettext package are available from
> > any DJGPP mirror site, so there isn't any need for a compiler.
>
> On further thinking about it, my reference to DOS was inappropriate.
> Users of lynx on DOS get download binaries and not source (I don't think
> there are may who would compile for themselves), and they don't need
> any library files at runtime (there is not dynamic linking or DLLs
> afaik, the libintl.a code is part of the lynx binary).  So it's only
> a question for the builder of the binary whether he uses the libintl
> code compiled from source bundled with lynx, or from a separate
> source tree.  It doesn't matter to the end user.  (If I'm wrong here,
> please correct.)

I used the libintl.a from the DOS port of gettext in the DJGPP
archives. If I recall correctly, I recompiled this from source to
match the current DJGPP 2.03 headers and GCC 2.95.2. I haven't tried
to use the libintl code in the lynx package, so I don't know how well
it would work under DOS. Have any of the other DOS users on lynx-dev
tried the included libintl code under DOS?

                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden