Re: lynx-dev Locale not working (Danish translation)

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Locale not working (Danish translation)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 22:46:48 +0200

Henry Nelson <address@hidden> said:

>> sobering up, what I meant was, that if I changed my locale
>> setting to LANG=da, then there would be Danish messages but

> Above all, you want to be sure that LANG is set to an available locale,
> which you can determine with the command `locale -a` on Solaris

That is also the command to use on Linux

>> At first I didn't even copy the po-file into the Lynx-archive
>> prior to compilation because I did not know that I needed to do
>> that. But I'm now a bit wiser.

> You don't _have_ to copy the po-file into the Lynx distribution po
> subdirectory, _unless_ you plan to use the autoconf mechanism provided
> with Lynx to do everything for you.  You gain convenience at the cost
> of flexibility by using autoconf: to each his own.

I'm not sure I follow you. I tried both LANG=da and LANG=da.DK
(which is the regular setting I've always used in addition to
the other steps I outlined in my initial mail - none of it
yielded Danish messages in Lynx, only copying the da.po into
the archive before compiling did. What is the other method
you'd suggest that would give me greater flexibility?
(I've only done one other translation before Lynx, btw)

> >> Maybe you'd like to write up a "README.intl" to put in the docs sub-
> >> directory as a reward for your efforts :)
>>
>> Very much so, in addition it could also be a short primer on
>> use of the gettext system, emacs po-mode etc. I mean just short

> Well, no one is going to hold you to it, but what you offer is a great
> service to Lynx that has been waited for for a long time.

I'll be glad to as time permits. Once ready I'll post it to the
list for review. Not quite soon, though.

Best regards,

Morten

--
"All truths are half-truths."  (Alfred North Whitehead)