Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.4dev.2.patch.gz

From: Atsuhito Kohda
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.4dev.2.patch.gz
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:32:11 +0900

From: Henry Nelson <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:39:33 +0900 (JST)

> > your point.  Perhaps there are two ways; roughly, one is to use a
> > bundled intl/* and the other is to use the gettext(is this right?)
>
> Exactly.  (Except when you are talking about program_s_ other than
> Lynx, that becomes not "a", but rather multiple, "bundled intl/*_s_."
> Of course, no such distinction in Japanese :)

Yes, as you know well, these are the most difficult
problem for us japanese ;-)

When I write e-mail in English I am always unsure if it
should be no article or the definite article or the
indefinite article and so on and so on ...

> > I would like to ask one point; is it enough to do configure with
> > the option '--without-included-gettext' even without 'rm -r intl'
>
> There is no need to remove the directories /po and /intl.  Before the

I see.  I will add --without-included-gettext to configure
option.  Although my computer is old (Pentium 150 MHz!)
but I have rather large hard disks so I would not remove intl.

> You might as well configure with "--disable-included-msgs," too.  If you
> translate for other programs, you will discover the convenience of keeping
> *.pot files in one central location, i.e., you can share translations among
> catalogues.  Gettext is not Lynx specific at all.  Also, there is no need
> to wait to rebuild Lynx just to update a message or two.

This sound nice but I choose an easier way about po, that is,
put new file into lynx*/po/ and leave everything to configure
script ;-)

Best Regards,                   2000.6.30

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <address@hidden>