Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.4dev.2.patch.gz

From: Atsuhito Kohda
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.4dev.2.patch.gz
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 13:36:10 +0900

From: Henry Nelson <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 10:07:44 +0900 (JST)

> > It is almost trivial, IMHO.
>
> So you believe the documentation for installing message catalogues by
> the autoconf method which is included in the Lynx distribution is adequate?

I think that I have not (never?) encountered so serious problem
for installing message catalogues of lynx.  So I can not understand
what you are talking about (sorry).

> > for me, it is not an easy method.  It seems to me that you claim
> > everyone should follow your method and if so you should explain
>
> I have never "claim[ed that] everyone should follow" the GNU gettext method.
> For me it is easier than using the Lynx-specific one.  For example, if I
> change two translation strings, I can re-compile and install the .mo file
> with one alias, and use the new messages immediately.  How do you do that
> with the autoconf method?

I said already that this sounded nice.  But I do not want to
worry about where I should install *.mo file or so.  This is
the meaning of "an easier way for me" which I said.

> How do you do that
> with the autoconf method?

Okay, I repeated again ;)  Put new *.po file(s) in lynx*/po and
make again.  I agree that this might take more time than your
method but it would do everything automatically, i.e. an easier
way for me but might be not the best way.

> To repeat myself:
>  1)  I like to have a gettext/libintl environment that is consistent
>      among all programs I use.  Preinstalling the gettext package and
>      building all other packages with --without-included-gettext ensures
>      that that will be the case.
>  2)  I do not want to waste my cpu time rebuilding the gettext tools and
>      library every time I build Lynx.
>  3)  Not every machine I build Lynx on has enough disk space to waste on
>      things I don't need (po files, source code for gettext tools and lib).
>  4)  I do not agree with the philosophy of distributing packages within
>      packages when the sub-package is just a clone that can be gotten
>      separately from the main package.  I approach gettext exactly the same
>      way I approach gcc, zlib, slang, ncurses, libbind and any of the other
>      programs/libraries I use to build or enhance Lynx.

Well I might misunderstand but please separate the arguments
between gettext (or lynx*/intl) and po files (or lynx*/po).

I already chose the way you suggested for lynx*/intl,
that is, configure'ed with --without-included-gettext.
(So I believe that I already use system gettext.)

But an issue on po files (or lynx*/po) is quite another
and/or independent one from gettext (or lynx*/intl), isn't it?

I intended (or thought) to discuss only po files here.

Best Regards,                   2000.7.3

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <address@hidden>