Re: lynx-dev Server-Side JavaScript for UNIX Lynx?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Server-Side JavaScript for UNIX Lynx?
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:56:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, pAb-032871 wrote:

> I'm not too clear on how it works, but there is a lesser-known
> server-side JavaScript language [or dialect, if you want to be
> picky about it].  Since I have to assume the engine is built for
> UNIX-like HTTP servers, why not install this on the system and
> write a small, separate application which implements it.  The
> program could in turn act as a filter [downloader, HTTP proxy
> or something like that], parsing scripts in web pages and passing
> a kind of "pre-chewed" HTML to Lynx?

It's already been pointed that the problem isn't the language itself
(there are implementations around), but the DOM.  In other words,
the objects on which the language is supposed to act.  Those have to
be provided by lynx (or whatever hosts the XXXXscript environment),
in a way that XXXXscript instructions can act on them / react to them /
assign values to them or their members.

Server-side JavaScript just gets us further away from the problem.
I doubt that server-side JavaScript is supposed to act on mouse
events, for example.

If someone wants to do something about JavaScript in lynx, maybe
you should start by reading around in the archives.  Start with
Mar/Apr this year, look for messages from Rob Partington / rjp,
bug him about his code mentioned in those messages...

    Klaus