Re: lynx-dev A Missing >...

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev A Missing >...
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:32:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Ismael Cordeiro wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
>
> > > A missing closing > in a </STYLE> tag is making the document at
> > > http://advice.networkice.com/Advice/Support/KB/default.htm and all
> > > "q000xxx/default.htm" documents unreadable to lynx. However, w3m
> > > correctly displays the documents. I've sent the webmaster a message
> > > asking them to correct the error.
> >
> > you meant to say that w3m recovers from the error, not "correctly
> > displays", since that's subject to interpretation.
>
> Let's say: w3m recovers from the error and displays the page, lynx doesn't.
that's more precise.

I downloaded a copy and looked at it (I haven't spent the time to figure
out how to make w3m work with our firewall), and can see where to tweak
the html as well.  There are actually two details that I can see where
w3m differs - it also tolerates trailing whitespace inside the tag, e.g.,

is also not recognized by lynx.  Both conditions look fairly
straightforward to check for (though I've not done much with that part of
lynx).

(fwiw, it displays with Netscape)

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>