lynx-dev Getting Lynx message catalogs

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Getting Lynx message catalogs
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:42:55 -0400

There was a discussion a few weeks ago about getting the latest Lynx
message catalogs, since they are not in the main distribution. I thought
about ways to alter this, such as adding a configuration or makefile
step, but thought this was overkill. Here is the outline of a script
users could run to obtain the message catalogs.

Since not everyone needs every file, the script could include only those
languages of interest. I have this set up to get the German file. One
nagging issue is the naming system. The Translation Project has the
earlier files with just "2.8.3", as well as the more recent files with
"2.8.3.rel1" attached. Since not every translator will likely produce
a file for every dev release, I'm not sure how one would automatically
know what is available for which language (unless you get the robotic
messages that I get from the project).

The script must run after Lynx has been built once, and when you are
on-line. Then, just run a make because the newness of the catalog
files should trigger a catalog rebuild. I usually run "make" and "make
install" in the po directory after downloading new message files.

13:26:02/jim> ls -l po/de.po
-rw-r--r--  1 jim  wheel  1442 Jan  6  2000 po/de.po
13:26:12/jim> ./get-de.sh
13:27:08/jim> ls -l po/de.po
-rw-r--r--  1 jim  wheel  176718 Jul 19 13:26 po/de.po

cat get-de.sh
lynx -source \
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/teams/PO/de/lynx-2.8.3.rel1.de.po \
> po/de.po

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
I ache therefore I am.  Or in my case, I am therefore I ache.