lynx-dev message catalog files (was: da.po file)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev message catalog files (was: da.po file)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:52:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Webmaster Jim wrote:

> Since I have discovered we have not just 1, but 2 Danish translation
> files, there needs to be a placeholder in the source so that users can
> find the translations. At least, we need this based on the general
> distribution not containing full message catalogs;

Why are there placeholder PO files anyway?  I haven't yet understood
what they are good for.

In my mind, they can easily give to the installer the impression that
they are the real thing, so he/she will never bother to get the real
ones.  After all, he/she has already installed lynx with message
catalogs.

You also seem to be generating them with an ancient version of the
gettext tools (at least, the da.po included in your mail).  They
have incomplete (invalid) lines like

More up-to-date gettext tools (at least) barf on that, in my experience
(though I didn't try to repeat it right now).

> the parallel full
> distribution (at http://lynx.isc.org/gnumatic) has the catalogs.

This is a mystery URL that I've only ever seen, as far as I recall,
in messages from you.  If people are supposed to find it, it needs
to be advertised.  Someone looking at either
<http://lynx.isc.org/current/> or <http://lynx.isc.org/release/> will
have no idea that a "gnumatic" version or page exists, there are no
links.

    Klaus