Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "\": "WARNING: any changes will be lost!"

From: pAb-032871
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "\": "WARNING: any changes will be lost!"
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 08:00:47 -0700

In "lynx-dev LYNX: "\": "WARNING: any changes will be lost!""
[21/Jul/2000 Fri 10:59:20]
David Combs wrote:

> RE that "any changes will be lost" warning msg:
>
> Perhaps if "changes" (entries into a form) HAVE been made
> (lynx does know this, no?), then a "are you sure you want
> to lose those changes?" would be a nice feature.

Kind of like the "Document contains POST data.  Resubmit? (y/n)"
message?  Nice thought.

It also does that when you reload, so maybe it's just a note,
reminding you that all forms items will revert to their defaults
in the refreshed page [if it's a big form, maybe you can't *see*
the whole thing in one screenful].

Lynx doesn't seem to "know" whether you've typed or changed anything
in the form either.  Try reloading one of these pages *without*
toggling radio buttons or anything: you still get the warning.
It probably doesn't pay attention to the state of forms items
until you submit.

[Note; How To Annoy Users, #21342: write a complicated forms page
with META refresh every 20 secs. . .]

> Right now it gives the warning and then merrily continues
> on to "lose" them (and redisplay the page in source).
>
> (Or has this issue already been beaten to death n-years
> ago?)

Maybe, but it's is the first time I've seen this question.  ;-)

                          Patrick
                <mailto:address@hidden>