RE: lynx-dev Interrupting operation in process: use 'z'

From: pAb-032871
Subject: RE: lynx-dev Interrupting operation in process: use 'z'
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 08:00:42 -0700

In "RE: lynx-dev Interrupting operation in process: use 'z'"
[19/Jul/2000 Wed 14:04:55]
Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:

> [...]

It's also a standard "cancel" for Macs.  If you feel more comfortable
with it [after years of practice. . .], you can remap Lynx's keybinbings:

On a Windows machine, do you get a "pseudo-character" when you
type Esc into some text documents?  Does Lynx return some kind
of error message with ^Trace ON when you hit Escape?  If you can
find some character or hex-escaped entity to represent the Esc
key, you can remap the INTERRUPT comand in lynx.cfg ["z" will
still work, but Esc will also, I think].  On a Mac, it's "" or
"0x1B", but that doesn't help you much, except as an example.

Check out this archived thread if you're interested:
        http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month052000/msg00484.html
        http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month052000/msg00518.html

Anyway, if you can figure out how to do the same thing on a PC,
others might benefit, so share and enjoy.  :-)

> > Well they may not work everywhere if the operation that hangs is a
> > hostname lookup.  But I think they do in the Win32 versions.

Maybe that's why MacLynx does that!  Thanks.  It borrows source
from various ports, including Win32, maybe to better cope with
another GUI-based OS, and/or to add basic mouse support [clickable
links].  There's a thank-you note in the docs, but not much detail;
thanks for what?

>From the ReadMe:

Development

 MacLynx is a Lynx 2.7.1 port, and nearly all of the merit of this
 program should go to the University of Kansas and to the LYNX-DEV
 group, who developed the original Lynx.
 MacLynx uses GUSI socket code by Matthias Neeracher, and parts
 of a curses code by  Larry Gensch & Robert Zimmerman. Removal
 of some Unixisms in MacLynx has been helped by the Wayne Buttles'
 port for DOS/Win32.

> >    Klaus
> >

>  Joris Dobbelsteen

                          Patrick