Re: lynx-dev Re: message catalog files (was: da.po file)

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: message catalog files (was: da.po file)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 14:05:29 +0200

Webmaster Jim <address@hidden> said:

> On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 02:05:15PM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:

> > (the binary package contains the stub catalogs, and previous versions
> > contained fuller catalogs for at least some languages).  And apparently
> > the D.M. completely missed out on the fact that those .po files are
> > just stubs.
>
> This problem would never have happened if the message catalogs were
> included in the Lynx distribution. SEP.

I have noticed that the RPM archive of Lynx that comes with my
SuSE CD does not include message catalogs. Can anyone confirm
that this is also the case with other distributions such as RH
etc.?

I find this a little frustrating. My main incentive for doing
translation work is to make new Danish users of Linux feel more
comfortable - and new users get acquainted with (new)
applications from the installed RPMs and not by fetching
tarballs and building themselves.

I have also noticed that SuSE does include message translations
with other applications that they ship on their CDs so I don't
think that they deliberately wanted to save ~500k on the Lynx
archive. Rather their omittance may be due to that they did not
pay attention to the fact that there is also an archive with
message catalogs included. So I hope that if someone on the
list knows the maintainers of the RPMs of the various
distributions that they would kindly tell them build those with
message catalogs included. Otherwise I think the translators'
work is somewhat futile. I will send a message about this to
SuSE myself.

Regards,

Morten