RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending: ask "cc" AFTER editing the email?

From: pAb-032871
Subject: RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending: ask "cc" AFTER editing the email?
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:51:41 -0700

Yes, I'm daydreaming again, but you might find something practical
in here. . .

In "RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending: ask "cc" AFTER editing the email?"
[26/Jul/2000 Wed 13:59:32]
Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:

> I seemed I didn't explain it good enough (bad english or knowledge of terms
> or I don't know what else, so add it here).
[...]
> modify its own settings (got the difference?).

Yes, thanks.  I thought "special document" meant a script, or
HTML file with a special name that Lynx understands.

> Can't we do a similar thing for a document that is used to generate/send
                                    ^^^^^^^^ internal resource,
                                             like you said.
> e-mails, this would allow the user to easily move through To, CC, (BCC,)
> Subject and body fields, just like he/she is used to when browsing (in
> Lynx).

Here's something: Lynx is still has very weak text-editing ability
[even in forms].  So a compromise, leaving the actual
*message_composition* to the defined editor, as usual: your form
interface could set the header details before writing the message
[CC, BCC, Reply To, etc].  There could even be a "custom header"
field to add things like Organization and X-foo.  Details Lynx
already "knows" could be filled-in with defaults.

Before?  Yes, *and* after.  You could have a dummy-form with only
a Submit button on the same page, maybe named "Compose" or "Type
Message", which spawns the default editor, and the second [the
"real" form] would have all the header inputs.  When *that* form
is submitted, the message would be sent.

Currently, after composing a message in another editor, Lynx returns
you to the last page, which in this case would be the form.  From
there, you can change your CC and BCC, add Organization: the B0RG,
or whatever you like, then send it or cancel with the back button.

Is this getting complicated?  Sorry, the visual model that popped
into my head was pretty simple, but not easy to describe.

Short version: You follow a mailto: link, and Lynx shows you a
form, letting you fill in different header fields as you like.
When you're done, you hit the "Type Message" button and bare your
soul to Pico [or whatever].  On exiting Pico, you return to Lynx,
and the form.  Then either submit, change one or two things first,
or cancel.

> Also I suppose it would require less programming then (or than???) rewriting
> the code used for sending e-mails.

> Hope I explained it a bit better.

Hope I did too. . .

> > The problem I see with that suggestion, given my limited knowledge of
> > lynx and html, is that it would need to be a form, and lynx's ability
> > to edit forms is limited (since the editing has to be done in the html
> > document and can't be spawned out to the local editor.

Question:
        "How can I make my system 100% safe and secure
        from an outside attacker?"
Answer:
        "Simple: unplug your modem."

                          Patrick