LYNXFOO://"special documents"? (was: RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending: as

From: pAb-032871
Subject: LYNXFOO://"special documents"? (was: RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending: ask "cc" AFTER editing the email?)
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:37:48 -0700

In "RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending: ask "cc" AFTER editing the email?"
[26/Jul/2000 Wed 16:51:41]
I wrote:

> Yes, I'm daydreaming again, but you might find something practical
> in here. . .
>
> In "RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending: ask "cc" AFTER editing the email?"
> [26/Jul/2000 Wed 13:59:32]
> Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:
>
> > I seemed I didn't explain it good enough (bad english or knowledge of terms
> > or I don't know what else, so add it here).
> [...]
> > modify its own settings (got the difference?).
>

> Yes, thanks.  I thought "special document" meant a script, or
> HTML file with a special name that Lynx understands.
>

> > Can't we do a similar thing for a document that is used to generate/send
>                                     ^^^^^^^^ internal resource,
>                                              like you said.
> > e-mails, this would allow the user to easily move through To, CC, (BCC,)
> > Subject and body fields, just like he/she is used to when browsing (in
> > Lynx).

Why does Lynx use internally generated pages instead of external
templates?  Simple convenience comes to mind [not so many loose
files lying around].

But could it use, say, a template for directory listings or "="
document info pages?  These could be set aside in a subdirectory,
with names like "dirlist.tmpl" and "info.tmpl", so they can be
customized *after* Lynx has been compiled.  Variables could be
marked as such in these files, letting Lynx know where to "fill
in the blanks" with current info.

For example, you could trim-down "lynxrc.tmpl" [the forms-based
'o'ptions page], omitting fields you never use, and bring favourite
items to the top for easier access.

Just curious.  Thank you.

                          Patrick
                <mailto:address@hidden>