Re: lynx-dev More discussion about javascript

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev More discussion about javascript
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:55:38 -0700

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 09:16:34AM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:

<SNIP>
> >         The discussion on the lynx list is serious in that people are
> > wondering if it would be better to try to adapt the Mozilla source
> > code to fix the GUIproblem rather than rework lynx which is, according
> > to those who know a lot about it, beginning to truly show its age.

<SNIP>

> >         It would seem to me that Mozilla is in a unique spot with the
> > open source and the fact that it already does java and javascript.  In
> > other words, it should be easier to give Mozilla a non graphical user
> > interface to coexist with the present GUI than it is to try to make
> > lynx pretend to be Internet Explorer or Netscape.
>
> Agreed.

Uh, I'm not so sure.

First, one of the many reasons lynx is so nice
is that it is SMALL.   Starts-up FAST.

More important for me, anyway, is that I run
lynx from a *shell account* on my isp -- no gui stuff,
no mice, the fanciest you CAN do in shell acct is
vi or lynx or trn type cursor jumping (and colors
for those who know how to set it up -- I have
never succeeded).

Of course, I *could* use the (Netcom-only?) program
"slirp", that somehow lets you pretend you are
a pc-like computer (I suppose) with ppp or slip or
other scheme.

But I don't WANT to run web stuff via a GUI -- I like
having (1) lynx (2) often mutt (3) often trn "up"
at the same time, and can get back into any one
via, of course, an "fg" into it.

I really LIKE lynx, the vi-keys hjkl, the L command,
the V command, and so on.

---

I wonder -- what would be difficult about somehow
using their javascript-parsing routines -- hopefully,
netscape wouldn't be threaded throughout it?

Or at least for any NEW ns-development; COULD maybe
be done so it could ALSO be used within lynx.  (?)

David