Re: LYNXFOO://"special documents"? (was: RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: LYNXFOO://"special documents"? (was: RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending: ask "cc" AFTER editing the email?)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:18:36 +0500 (SAMST)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, pAb-032871 wrote:

> In "RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending: ask "cc" AFTER editing the email?"
> [26/Jul/2000 Wed 16:51:41]
> I wrote:
>
> > Yes, I'm daydreaming again, but you might find something practical
> > in here. . .
> >
> > In "RE: lynx-dev lynx email-sending: ask "cc" AFTER editing the email?"
> > [26/Jul/2000 Wed 13:59:32]
> > Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:
> >
> > > I seemed I didn't explain it good enough (bad english or knowledge of
> > > terms
> > > or I don't know what else, so add it here).
> > [...]
> > > modify its own settings (got the difference?).
> >

> > Yes, thanks.  I thought "special document" meant a script, or
> > HTML file with a special name that Lynx understands.
> >

> > > Can't we do a similar thing for a document that is used to generate/send
> >                                     ^^^^^^^^ internal resource,
> >                                              like you said.
> > > e-mails, this would allow the user to easily move through To, CC, (BCC,)
> > > Subject and body fields, just like he/she is used to when browsing (in
> > > Lynx).
>

> Why does Lynx use internally generated pages instead of external
> templates?  Simple convenience comes to mind [not so many loose
> files lying around].
>
> But could it use, say, a template for directory listings or "="
> document info pages?  These could be set aside in a subdirectory,
> with names like "dirlist.tmpl" and "info.tmpl", so they can be
> customized *after* Lynx has been compiled.  Variables could be
> marked as such in these files, letting Lynx know where to "fill
> in the blanks" with current info.

  Do you really feel uncomfortable with current internal lynx pages? What
exactly you would like to change?
  As for directory listings - see LIST_FORMAT lynx.cfg setting.
  As for form-based 'o'ptions page - try another version of the page
(menu-based or how it's called - each setting can be accessed by a
single keypress there).

  Anyway, if you still want customization - post your proposals and patches
for review here.

> For example, you could trim-down "lynxrc.tmpl" [the forms-based
> 'o'ptions page], omitting fields you never use, and bring favourite
> items to the top for easier access.
>

> Just curious.  Thank you.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad