Re: lynx-dev reverse search

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reverse search
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:16:49 -0700

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 01:47:00AM -0600, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> WRT doing so for some kind of reverse search function, I'm inclined to
> feel the same way ... most pages are short enough that performance is
> probably not an issue with an always-start-at-the-top approach; only on
> very lengthy docs might it become one.

Well, if you want to see a "lengthy" doc that ANY of
us might NEED to view (eg when looking for new job),
go to EDGAR and, for some big company, look at the "10K"
filing.

It can be 500 pages long!

And you are looking for eg the president's name,
or this, or that, and you're runing back and forth
over maybe 10,000 lines.

---

Recall a feature about plain, old unix "mail" -- when
reading an email, or writing one, you can hit TILDE-E,
and SWITCHES into your-favorite-editor (default: vi, I
believe, or maybe just $EDITOR).

Sure quicker and easier than having to first write lynx-doc
to disk and then, separately, run some editor on THAT...

(To add naseum to ad, when will it be time to add
two-letter cmds to lynx, perhaps the way vi
does it (colon-mode), or how emacs does it (prefix
command, eg "M-x")?

David