lynx-dev: (fwd) bookmark file is relative to home dir

From: H. Nanosecond
Subject: lynx-dev: (fwd) bookmark file is relative to home dir
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:16:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Here is a bug report from the Debian Bug System
He is refering to the single bookmark page mode, as
opposed to the multi-bookmarks page.

Please reply to address@hidden
the report is at http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=31477
Thanks.

Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:16:57 -0500 (EST)
From: address@hidden (Ben Pfaff)
To: address@hidden
Subject: lynx: bookmark file is relative to home dir
Bcc:

Package: lynx
Version: 2.8.1-2

The lynx bookmark file name, as set in .lynxrc, is relative to the
user's home directory.  However, it doesn't say so anywhere on the
options page.  When I entered an absolute path for my bookmark file
name, lynx would display the bookmark file just fine (apparently
absolute paths work here), but it refused to add or remove bookmarks,
which is puzzling behavior.  It took an strace of a lynx session to
reveal what was going on.

The proper fix, IMO, is to make lynx treat the bookmark file name as
an absolute path if it starts with a slash, and as a path relative to
the user's home directory otherwise.
--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."