Re: lynx-dev Fwd: Re: contacting Lynx developers

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Fwd: Re: contacting Lynx developers
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:55:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Lloyd Rasmussen wrote:

> With Lynx 2.8.3 dev something I verified Neil's problem, both in
> searching for job titles and in getting a listing from a category
> within a category (engineers, electrical).  Oracle says that Lynx has
> filled in "dummy" for unfilled fields of the query, whereas IE 5.5 says
> "all" for those fields.  Sorry I didn't look a little longer at the
> URLs; they are very long.

Yet the URLs reveal the problem.  Submit a page, get a "Request Failed"
response, then look at the URL of that page, i.e. the URL that lynx has
requested, for example on the INFO ('=') screen.  I get (I had filled
in "Translator" as "Keywords" and left all other form fields unchanged
in this case):

File that you are currently viewing

   Linkname: Request Failed

Note all those name=value that are duplicates.

In this case, the problem appears to be the double occurrence of
   &iaction=Search
in the URL.  I did some tests with a netscape browser, they show
that it sends the iaction at most once.

The origin of this is
   <input type="submit" name="iaction" value="Search">
which appears twice in the Search page
<http://jobs.workopolis.com/jobshome/db/work.search_cri>.  That's
a bit strange - multiple submit buttons are fine, but they should
normally not have the same name (and value!) AFAIK.

As a workaround - and to verify that this is indeed the problem -
you can "correct" the URL by hand.  This is easy with the ECGOTO
key, normally (capital!) 'G': submit the form normally, and get
the "Request Failed" page.  While viewing that page, press 'G',
remove the string "&iaction=Search" from the URL (either of the
two occurrences, or both), and press Enter.

(This procedure works for a simple search with just "Keywords"
filled in - it may need analogous modification in other cases.)

> ==================BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE==================
[ snipped headers ]
> >Subject: Re: contacting Lynx developers

You should subscribe to the list to continue this discussion.
You may subscribe to "lynx-dev-contrib" if you want your messages
to be accepted automatically but do not want to receive mail,
as described here:

   Linkname: Lynx-Dev Discussion List

Someone is supposed to manually check and forward messages from
non-subscribers, but apparently that is not happening.

   Klaus