Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.6.patch.gz

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.6.patch.gz
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:27:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> From: Henry Nelson <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.6.patch.gz
> Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 11:38:46 +0900 (JST)
[attributions lost...:]

> > I don't know.  It has a bad side-effect of making the status line
> > blink in the case of those that are updated steadily, like the byte
> > counter on a download status line.  The blinking is very unpleasant.

Is the refreshing really needed in the case of lynx with slang _with_
kanji support (in slang) enabled?  It is my understanding that the
purpose of that kanji support of slang is to avoid the problems for
which the refresh is a workaround.  Am I wrong?

> Well, I tried downloading a big file but it is difficult to notice
> the blinking on kterm or on linux console.
>
> I found the annoying blinking only when I logged in from my old
> PC (NEX PC-98 series with DOS).
>
> Do you really find the blinking at every time?

It is always good to avoid unnecessary screen updates, IMO.
(I seem to remember that the effect can be more annoying for
filling out form input fields with the "multibyte edit"
enabled.  But I didn't test this with the most recent code.)

> Anyway, I prefer the (slight?) blinking than the completely wrong
> characters ;-)

The code could at least check whether there are any bytes with the high
bit set, in the new text to be written to the statusline.  If not, then
the refresh should not be necessary.

(warning: untested assertion above)

  Klaus