Re: lynx-dev A Missing >...

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev A Missing >...
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 07:47:28 +0100 (BST)

Scott Bigham <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2000, David Woolley <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > It's perfectly valid input.  The comment model for <script> (and <style>)
> > is CDATA, which is only terminated by a matching close tag, not any
> > arbitrary markup.
>
> *wince*  Don't let Joe English hear ya say that...[*]

Looks like you are right, assuming that the HTML 4 specification correctly
describes SGML.  I had assumed that an exact match was needed but all
that is actually needed is a sequence of "<", "/", and a character that can
validly start a potential tag name, which need not be a tag that exists in
HTML, or be open.