lynx-dev WAP on the Horizon

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: lynx-dev WAP on the Horizon
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:14:45 -0500

        One of the few hopeful things I have heard recently is
the emergence of WAP or Wireless Applications Protocol as another
web standard.  For those who haven't heard or maybe weren't
paying attention, WAP is a form of text-based web markup that is
designed to show on portable devices such as cell phones, PDA's,
etc.  These devices have small screens that can show as few as 4
lines at once so one needs to loose the graphics and keep the
text.

        Sites that cater to WAP also have to cut down on the
javascript and other fancy mechanisms because some of the
portable devices are not terribly smart.

        If this all sounds familiar, it certainly does to me.  I
imagine that WAP might fit right in to lynx since the basic
concept is the same.

        Has anyone seen the WAP specifications?  This is the
first good news in a long time.

        Maybe the future is to have web servers that play the
high-end game with the scripting language of the week as well as
a purely functional text-based mode of operation for portable
devices and, of course lynx.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group