Re: lynx-dev WAP on the Horizon

From: RobertM
Subject: Re: lynx-dev WAP on the Horizon
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 18:49:21 +0100 (BST)

It is alleged that Mike Castle once typed:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 11:14:45AM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> >     Has anyone seen the WAP specifications?  This is the
> > first good news in a long time.
> I thought the WAP stuff required a substantial ($10,000?) licensing fee.
> Or is that just for the use of the actual wireless stuff?

That's confusing WAP with WML.

> Is it at the same level as HTTP?  Or lower level, kind of like TCP/IP?

WML is served over HTTP, normally to a WAP gateway which compresses
it, lumps it into a binary chunk and delivers it to a mobile device.
The WAP gateway can involve a large price, though there are a couple
of freeware versions ou therre. Joing the WAP forum is expensive.

But serving WML is 6 lines in your mimetypes file. Lynx and WML could
be a good match. Though of course WML still allows for graphics.

--
Robm
873