Re: lynx-dev Potential patch for HTFTP.c

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Potential patch for HTFTP.c
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 12:46:31 -0700

In "Re: lynx-dev Potential patch for HTFTP.c"
[06/Aug/2000 Sun 07:24:15]
address@hidden wrote:

> In a recent note, Doug Kaufman said:
>
> > Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 23:13:12 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> > A user of the DOS port of lynx recently pointed out to me that
> > DOS mode text files (EOL=LF CR) are rendered differently by lynx,
>
> I am not a DOS user, but my understanding had been that for DOS
> EOL=CR LF.

Yes, but it's a problem many browsers have with DOS line-breaks:
Since they have to recognize UNIX and Macintosh EOL characters
as well [LF and CR, respectively], with DOS returns, each CR+LF
is often read as two *separate* line endings.  You usually don't
see it unless you view source, but it can mangle a PRE block too,
especially when the block contains ASCII art.

I've seen this in Lynx [MacLynx anyway, v2.7.1 port], Netscape
3.x, and NetFinder [FTP client with some file-viewing capability,
for Read Me's and "00_index.txt" files on FTP servers].

> > following patch attempts to change the default ftp mode for viewing
> > to image, leaving it ascii when using a CMS server. Does this break
> > anything? Does anyone else think that this change is a good idea?
> >
> I'll be a reactionary here; si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.
> What problem are you trying to fix?  Can you name a site and a
> command sequence that manifests the problem?  How would the behavior
> differ with your patch installed?

In my experience, it seems to happen everywhere you see preformatted
text with DOS line-breaks.  Never seemed like much of a problem
though, because linefeeds are so much more common.

As a general approach, would it be better to look first for LR+LF,
treating each as a single line ending, *then* look for single
CRs and LFs?  That's the order in which I usually do batch
find-and-replace runs in BBEdit, and it seems to work.

> -- gil
> --
> StorageTek
> INFORMATION made POWERFUL