Re: lynx-dev Potential patch for HTFTP.c

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Potential patch for HTFTP.c
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 19:20:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, David Woolley wrote:

> This patch breaks real binary transfers for CMS,  and would break
> text mode transfers for any OS that didn't use ASCII compatible
> character codings.
>
> The place to fix this is in the interpretation of EOLs or at least
> as post processing of the ftp data stream.

I went back and did transfers in both ascii and binary mode using a
plain ftp client and got identical files. It seems that the problem
really is misinterpretation of EOLs. Now I am not sure why the changes
that I made seemed to fix the problem. It looks like EOL conversions
are done by HTML_put_character in HTML.c. I'll try to see why the
extra blank lines only appear when rendering via ftp but not http, and
why changing ftp retrieval mode changes the rendering. Since the ftp
server sends the same bytes, lynx may be paying attention to the value
of "binary", as defined in HTFTP.c. Note that simply putting ";type=I"
at the end of the ftp URL fixes the rendering, although the bytes
transmitted should be identical.

I would like to withdraw the patch. It is clearly not the correct
solution, but the problem remains. Any suggestions as to where the
problem may be are welcome.
                             Doug

__
Doug Kaufman