lynx-dev Re: Lynx package(s)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Lynx package(s)
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 23:36:42 -0400

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 09:07:16AM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Jim Spath wrote:
> > There are 2 lynx packages, lynx and lynx-current. My last sup (June
> > 23rd) shows lynx to include lynx-2.8.2, and lynx-current to include
> > lynx-2.8.3. The former includes a IPV6 directory, while the latter does
> > not. I am unclear as to what the difference is. Lynx-current should
> > probably include lynx-2.8.4 dev by now.
> The lynx-current package also has the MoxieNet SSL patches. Assuming that
> it will be OK to distribute crypto binaries after October, I think it
> would be good to have the lynx package be 2.8.3 with SSL, IPV6 and NLS,
> and for lynx-current to track the development version more closely,
> especially if the lynx developers merge some of this stuff into their main
> line.
>
> There is already an IPV6 patch in the lynx-2.8.3 distribution directory,
> but the last time I checked, it didn't apply cleanly. It would be very
> nice if someone would reconcile the distribution patch with the lynx
> package patches and re-submit it to the development team.

I have posted an PR to the NetBSD gnats database with proposed changes
to the Lynx package. I requested the lynx-current package be moved to
lynx, as it now includes the 2.8.3 release. I also made some suggestions
for updating the lynx-current NetBSD package to include the NLS catalogs
correctly. Note that as of 2.8.4dev7, the KAME changes (IPV6) have been
integrated into Lynx.

Once the lynx-current package is updated, I will request someone make
the same changes to the lynx package, at least for NLS. Since the IPV6
changes were added after the release, the reconciliation of that may not
be ready for a bit.

> > My main question on this topic is how to include NLS message catalogs.
> > The Lynx distribution does not include the full catalogs, as they are
> > collected and distributed by a different group, the Translation Project.
> > Would a patch the the main lynx package by the right way to go, or
> > should there be a different "lynx-intl" package with patches to retrieve
> > the catalogs? My opinion is there should be a single package for the
> > latest release, and one for the development version.
>
> I suggest you compose the changes to lynx-current, for now. In general,
> add the url's to DISTFILES, and use a post-extract target to copy them
> into the right place.
>
> Frederick

OK, please see the PR when it is processed. One issue still open is that
incomplete catalogs (such as pl and sv) should be deleted rather than
processed during the build. I wasn't sure of the portable way to do this
(${RM} $(WRKDIR)/po/pl.po ?).

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says: