Re: lynx-dev Revised patch for HTFTP.c

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Revised patch for HTFTP.c
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 07:45:03 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Mike Castle said:

> Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 08:27:41 -0500
>
> Would it not be better for you to force the download with ascii mode or
> inform the person that their site is broken because they put up DOS mode
> text on a Unix server?

The Internet is supposed to be oblivious to the genus of the server.  DOS
mode text is a more venerable Internet convention than UNIX mode.  And,
I suspect (I need to consultRFC 959), the general standard for FTP
interchange of text files.

What do you perceive as broken about a server?

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL