form problem (was: Re: lynx-dev Fwd: Re: contacting Lynx developers)

From: Neil Graham
Subject: form problem (was: Re: lynx-dev Fwd: Re: contacting Lynx developers)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 21:26:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Klaus and all,

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:

> Yet the URLs reveal the problem.  Submit a page, get a "Request Failed"
> response, then look at the URL of that page, i.e. the URL that lynx has
> requested, for example on the INFO ('=') screen.  I get (I had filled
> in "Translator" as "Keywords" and left all other form fields unchanged
> in this case):
>
> File that you are currently viewing
>
>    Linkname: Request Failed
>
> Note all those name=value that are duplicates.
>
> In this case, the problem appears to be the double occurrence of
>    &iaction=Search
> in the URL.  I did some tests with a netscape browser, they show
> that it sends the iaction at most once.
>
> The origin of this is
>    <input type="submit" name="iaction" value="Search">
> which appears twice in the Search page
> <http://jobs.workopolis.com/jobshome/db/work.search_cri>.  That's
> a bit strange - multiple submit buttons are fine, but they should
> normally not have the same name (and value!) AFAIK.

Thanks Klaus for figuring out the problem I was having.  Since the
workaround isn't exactly convenient, I guess we're faced with two
questions:

1.  Is this a problem that should be fixed?  i.e., should some logic be
added to whatever code Lynx has for outputing form submissions to delete
duplicate fields?  This would seem to add some robustness to the browser,
and I can't see that it would have any side-effects (especially since the
major browsers seem to do this already).

2.  If this might be appropriate, where would one begin?  I'm totally new
around here, and this looks like just the sort of bite-sized problem a
newbie Lynx contributor might tackle.  But pointers sure would be nice...

Cheers,
Neil