Re: lynx-dev Anyone able to access hotmail.com these days

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Anyone able to access hotmail.com these days
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:18:22 -0700

In "lynx-dev Anyone able to access hotmail.com these days"
[12/Aug/2000 Sat 00:39:09]
Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> It seems that hotmail.com has been slowly getting less and less
> "lynx-friendly" over the past ~6-8 months, or so.
>
> Now, however, I cannot even get to their initial page.  I just get
> the following:
>
>  Looking up www.hotmail.com.
>  Making HTTP connection to www.hotmail.com.
>  Sending HTTP request.
>  HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
>  HTTP/1.1 302 Redirected
>  Data transfer complete
>
>  lynx: Start file could not be found or is not text/html or text/plain
>        Exiting...

I got redirected to;
        http://lc5.law5.hotmail.passport.com/cgi-bin/login
That is where you end up [or don't end up this time], right?

> This is with an SSL'ified 2.8.3dev.17 (yes, I need to update).
>
> I suspect javascript is at the root of this problem.

Could it be the way you have SSL installed?  I had no trouble
using two earlier versions, with no SSL support, finding a plain
form with username, pass, and submit fields [plus some advertising. . .].

> Anyone else able to access their site these days ...?
>
> /kim
>
> PS: It's not critical for me to use hotmail ... I keep half-a-dozen
>     or so freebee email accounts around from various places, primarily
>     for testing lynx against.

PPS: Just wondered, anyone had trouble accessing Webcrawler?
     I think what's happening is MacLynx having a bad reaction
     to a Lynx-friendly site, because it sends a gzipped version
     of the main page [almost all pages, actually] to Lynx user-agents.
     However, messing with the User (A)gent option doesn't change
     it.  I get an "Error uncompressing temporary file!" alert.
     No trouble with Lynx from a shell acct though.

                          Patrick
                <mailto:address@hidden>