Re: lynx-dev lynx compilation ... the last question :-)

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx compilation ... the last question :-)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 08:00:48 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Martin Schweizer said:

> Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:03:33 +0200
>
> Hello Thomas

No, that was me.  Please don't blame Thomas if I mislead you.

> >Baby steps.  If you find nothing obviously wrong with WWW_HOME in your
> >environment nor with STARTFILE in lynx.cfg, start lynx with the command:
> >
> >    lynx "."
> >
> >to use the current working directory as your startfile.
>
> Until now I can't test the above on my FreeBSD-Box (I'm at work... configure
> NT-Server :-)). In .../work/ I found a file called lynx. Is it the binary
> start file that you mean? When I started it then an error occurs like "unknow
> filename" or so.

No, that's the executable, the Lynx program itself, I believe.  Somewhere there
should be a lynx.cfg file that contains a line identifying the STARTFILE, which
is the URL of the first page you want displayed.  If Lynx can't load this
page, it terminates with the message you reported, giving you no opportunity
to recover.

    lynx "."

tells Lynx to use the current working directory as the first page to display.
This is simply the most robust test of basic Lynx operation I can think of.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL